Using less than impeccable grammar and language on social media leaves every brand open to scrutiny. It can be the difference between a user following or unfollowing a brand on digital platforms. Also, you don’t want to become one of these memes:
Here are our tips for making sure you don’t fall prey to the Grammar Nazi’s out there:
- Keep your posts short and simple. The more lengthy and complex the post, the more your language skills will be put to the test.
- Keep a dictionary close and pay attention to spell check. At the end of the day, you are writing content that represents your brand, make sure that how you deliver your message doesn’t hurt your brand.
- Text-speak is a no-no. It doesn’t matter how tempted you are, do not use text-speak.
- Use popular abbreviations with caution. If your audience is the type to use “LOL” and you feel that they’ll react to it positively, then by all means, use it. However, be careful not to overuse abbreviations.
- Take the time to read your posts twice or even three times. Always.
- And finally: keep a proofreader (or someone who knows their “there” from their “they’re) on speed dial. If you are not sure of a sentence, run it by someone who will be.
If you need a bit of help with writing content for your digital platforms, contact us or give us a call! Our team is super excited to make sure your brand is being represented in the best way possible.